The Australian Medical Association published a guide to help doctors abide by the Privacy Act when taking smartphone photos of patients.
The key takeaways:
Video: Clinical Images and the Use of Personal Mobile Devices
- Get appropriate consent and document it.
- Make sure the patient understands the reasons for taking the image, how it will be used, and to whom it will be shown.
- Make sure you comply with your health service policy is for storing clinical images.
- Ensure clinical images do not automatically upload to any social media networks or backup sites.
- Delete any clinical image after saving it onto the health record.
- Have controls on your mobile device to prevent unauthorised access.